bullet James WAITS(1) (2) was born in 1795. Parents: James WAITS and Margaret LEVENGOOD.

bulletJames WAITS(1) (2). Parents: Enos K. WAITS and Rebecca Elizabeth STILL.

bulletJohn WAITS(1) (2) was born on 14 Apr 1730 in Christ Ch.Parish, Middlesex, Virginia. He died about 1790. He has reference number 354. baptized 17 May 1730 Parents: Richard WAITS III and Sarah BLAKE.

He was married to Ann DELOSS about 1750 in , Hampshire, Virginia. Children were: John WAITS II, Richard WAITS, James WAITS, Charles WAITS, Reuben WAITS, Christina WAITS, Ann WAITS, Agnes WAITS.

bullet John WAITS II(1) (2) Parents: John WAITS and Ann DELOSS.

Children were: Betsy WAITS.

bulletJohn WAITS(1) (2) was born in 1778. He died in 1885. Parents: Richard WAITS and Mary LEVENGOOD.

He was married to Mary MCSHANE on 27 Sep 1798. Children were: Charles Martel WAITS.

bullet John WAITS(1) (2) was born in 1781. Parents: James WAITS and Margaret LEVENGOOD.

bulletJohn WAITS(1) (2). Parents: Charles WAITS and Catherine HICKMAN.

bulletJohn WAITS(1) (2). Parents: Enos K. WAITS and Rebecca Elizabeth STILL.

bulletLevina WAITS(1) (2). Parents: David WAITS and Anne Eve LIVINGOOD.

bulletMahala Catherine WAITS(1) (2) was born in 1827. She died in 1912. Parents: David WAITS and Anne Eve LIVINGOOD.

bulletMargaret WAITS(1) (2). Parents: Reason WAITS and unknown.

Children were: Hugh HARRIS, Angie HARRIS.

bulletMary WAITS(1) (2). Parents: Enos K. WAITS and Rebecca Elizabeth STILL.

bulletNancy WAITS(1) (2) was born in 1795. unmarried Parents: James WAITS and Margaret LEVENGOOD.

bullet Obediah WAITS(1) (2) was born in 1806. He died in 1806. Parents: Richard WAITS III and Ann GRAVES.

bullet Peter WAITS(1) (2) was born in 1790. Parents: James WAITS and Margaret LEVENGOOD.

bulletPeter WAITS(1) (2). Parents: Charles WAITS and Catherine HICKMAN.

bulletReason WAITS(1) (2) was born in 1819. to which wife does his child belong? Parents: Charles WAITS and Mary GABLE .

Children were: Margaret WAITS.

bulletReuben WAITS(1) (2). Parents: John WAITS and Ann DELOSS.

bulletReuben WAITS(1) (2). Parents: Richard WAITS III and Ann GRAVES.

bulletRhuana WAITS(1) (2). Parents: Enos K. WAITS and Rebecca Elizabeth STILL.

bulletRichard WAITS(1) (2) was born in 1754. He died in 1831. Parents: John WAITS and Ann DELOSS.

He was married to Mary LEVENGOOD in 1775. Children were: John WAITS.

bullet Richard WAITS III(1) (2) was born on 7 Nov 1708 in Christch. Parish, Middlesex, Virginia. He died about 1785 in Brumfield Parish, Culpeper, Virginia. He has reference number 708. bapt.7 Nov 1708 Parents: Richard WAIT II and Anne DOUGLAS.

He was married to Sarah BLAKE on 20 Jul 1729 in , , Virginia. Children were: John WAITS, James WAITS, George WAITS.

He was married to Ann GRAVES about 1745. Children were: Reuben WAITS, Obediah WAITS, Frances WAITS.

bullet Richard WAITS(1) (2) Parents: James WAITS and Margaret LEVENGOOD.

bulletSarah WAITS(1) (2) was born in 1806 in , , Ohio. Parents: James WAITS and Margaret LEVENGOOD.

bulletSarah E. WAITS(1) (2) was born in 1831. Parents: David WAITS and Anne Eve LIVINGOOD.

bullet Twyman WAITS(1) (2) Parents: George WAITS.

bullet William WAITS(1) (2) was born in 1800. Parents: James WAITS and Margaret LEVENGOOD.

bulletWilliam WAITS(1) (2). Parents: Enos K. WAITS and Rebecca Elizabeth STILL.

bulletDorothy Edna WALKER (Private).

Children were: Reginald Fred SPURLOCK, Randall Alan "Randy" SPURLOCK .

bulletEvelyn WALKER.

Children were: Patricia BURTON, Ralph Wayne BURTON, Donald G. BURTON, Herbert G. BURTON, Jimmy L. BURTON.

bulletMalinda Gobe WALKER(1) (2) was born on 1 Jan 1846 in , Johnson, Missouri. She died in 1916. She was buried in Warrensburg, , Missouri. bur. Sunset Cemetery Parents: William WALKER.

Children were: Alexander HORNBUCKLE , William C. HORNBUCKLE, Jefferson HORNBUCKLE, Turner HORNBUCKLE, Elizabeth HORNBUCKLE, Mattie HORNBUCKLE, Sarah Jane HORNBUCKLE.

bulletMary WALKER.

bulletWilliam WALKER(1) (2).

bulletWilliam WALKER(1) (2). of KY

Children were: Malinda Gobe WALKER.

bulletKathleen Kay WALLACE (Private).

bulletBessie WALLER (Private).

Children were: Lillian BURTON , Betty Sue BURTON, Elvin BURTON.

bulletMyrtle Frances WALLER was born on 5 Apr 1892. She died on 26 Feb 1972. She was buried in Forsyth Memorial Park Cemetery.

She was married to Rad Byerly BURTON on 20 Feb 1910 in Davie County, NC.. F. M. Williams, JP
Witnesses: CC Walter, DJ Potts, Lillie Williams
Children were: Ralph H. BURTON, Mary Louise BURTON, Wendell BURTON, Garmon Walter BURTON, Mary Lee BURTON.

bullet Count Conrad WALTMAN

He was married to Katherine BYERLY before 1738 in Bavaria, Germany. To: Asbernard

Got another chapter for you. Enjoy. Got on your GenWeb site the other nite. Very good job and informative. Cliff.


"They Believed the Scriptures." ---- John.ii,22

It has already been briefly told that Conrad Waltman in a fit of temporary insanity tore out the fly leaves out of the old Bible that came from Count Hiram von Frundsberg. This was the autumn of 1777.
His eight sons were in the Revolutionary War. Only his wife and two younger daughters, Anna Barbara and Maria, were at home. At that time the State was seething with war. Eight were fought on Pennsylvania soil, in three months' time, from September 3 to December 7, 1777. The American troops ran absolutely out of wadding, a necessity to the rifles of that day. Tow, hemp and paper were requisitioned by foraging parties sent out far and near. Church after church loyally turned their hymn-books over to the American troops. There are Pennsylvania records which tell that Captain Weitzel asked twice in 1777 for hemp for wadding before he could get any. Colonel Bertram Galbraith took from the press of the Mennonites at Ephrata,Pa., three cart loads of unbound Bibles. Shortly after on a similar occasion, in the neighbor state of New Jersey, occurred the incident related by Brete Harte in his poem of "Parson Caldwell."
It was in 1780 when Brete Harte's hero "gave them Watts." Over in Pennsylvania in the autumn of 1777, when the poorly equipped American army were fighting desperately against great odds, there was the same calamity, no wadding. Some one told the officers that there was a "crazy German" in Northampton County that had a whole roomful of books. That was Conrad Waltman. Officers and soldiers appeared and demanded the books in the name of the Continental Army. Of course the easily unbalanced fellow became excited. He carried out armful after armful of his mother's cherished books that had been sent to him after her death fifteen years before. Some of these books were very rare. He tore to pieces the venerable old Lutheran hymn-book, that was then over 100 years old.
Next followed the family Bible, 125 years old, and treasured because the last Count Frundsberg bought it, and because it had the old, old records of the family in it. Good Katherine begged the officers to not let it be destroyed. When they did nothing to stop him, she and her two strong-armed daughters tackled the madman and by sheer force took the Bible from him.
He gave a last fierce yank that tore the back loose, ripping out a V-shaped piece, and tore off a strip of the pig-skin binding from the back cover. He jerked out all of the fly leaves, back and front, and a dozen pages beside out of the front of the sacred book. The officers grabbed their arms full of papers and scraps, then fled. Those priceless records of hundreds of years, that could never be replaced, were fired away at the British.
Religiously the three women gathered up every scrap that was left. When the Bible came into the author's possession in July 1921, there were still three double leaves of the more than a hundred-year-old Lutheran hymn-book in the old Bible, Jacob Hottenstein's letter, and the dozen loose leaves torn out of the Bible. An expert repaired it, putting in a false inside back and attaching the old one to it, antiquating a piece of pigskin and inserting it in where the wedge had been torn out, and making it ready for another three hundred years.
During the repairs, safely hidden under the lining of the inside back cover, was found fragments of an old document that had doubtless been kept in the Bible, and had been torn to bits by Conrad in his frenzy. Poor Katherine had gathered every scrap she could find of what she knew was a most important document of settlement between Valentine Waltman and Count Hiram von Frundsberg, on the former becoming of age, April 9, 1699. She slipped in every scrap, some of them not over an inch in diameter. Then she pasted the lining back.
Out of eleven pieces only two matched. This shows something of what a good sized document it was. German experts deciphered enough to tell that it was an accounting with an heir that had come of age. Probably not over a fourth or fifth of the manuscript was left. Count Hiram showed a careful, methodical mind. Everything was shipshape, and his writing was plain, as a college man's writing should be, but often is not.
The letter of Jacob Hottenstein's has been referred to in Chapter IX. This Jacob Hottenstein was a prominent man in those days. He lived at a considerable distance from Allen Township, Conrad's home, in what was then Northampton County, but is now Luzerne. But the families visited each other. There was a congeniality between them. Jacob Hottenstein himself descended from a noble German family. Not long after the visit of the officers to Conrad's home, seeking material for wadding, and shortly after the visit of Baron DeKalb and Baron Steuben, a new misfortune visited the Waltman's.
Eight sons were in the Revolutionary War. William died in the service. A blow to the already distressed family. Then Frederick, fifer in another company, paid the supreme sacrifice, leaving a wife and three children. But the first of the three sons to sacrifice his life was the next to youngest son, Nicholas, a happy-dispositioned boy and a handsome young fellow, who lost his life in 1778. The other brothers, Frederick in 1779 and William in 1782, met their death.
Poor Conrad went stark, raving mad over Nicholas' death. He never was sane again, although he lived eighteen years longer, dying in 1796, aged 81. Faithful Katherine cared for him. After Andrew, the youngest child, returned from the war, he cared for him and her until their deaths. Katherine was broken-hearted over her husband's plight and the death of her three sons. Then it was that Jacob Hottenstein wrote that comforting letter, reminding her that "this world is full of trouble and sorrow, but he who puts his trust in the loving, living God will be sustained." This letter was such solace to her that she kept it in the Bible It was still there when the Bible came into the author's possession. {Lora LaMance}.
The question has been asked, who fell heir to that historic book? It was well understood that the Bible was to go to the oldest son's line. Probably that was Count Conrad's own request in his lucid hours. John Peter therefore should have been the next custodian. But he was not. The old man was a daily trial to care fore. Andrew, the youngest of all, did this, and did it cheerfully. Peter was the soul of generosity. When the father died in 1796 he insisted that Andrew was entitled to it above any other son, as he so faithfully cared for both parents. So Andrew kept it, and his bold autograph is seen on the inside cover of the front lid.
Andrew told his children that the Bible should next go to his oldest son, Valentine, the author's grandfather. But his wife, Anna Maria Margretta, thought differently. Valentine was a fine young man, that any mother might well have been proud of. The next son, Adam, was named for her own father. But her special favorite was the third son, Abraham. When the two oldest sons were married and in home of their own, Anna Maria Margretta took things into her own hands and gave the precious book to Abraham, giving as her excuse that he was "such a fine German scholar."
Abraham's line kept it until 1921, when the last owner of that book, Oscar Waltman of San Diego, California, for reasons that seemed good to him, restored it to the line of Valentine, "where we knew all of the time that by rights it belonged." Valentine left only daughters, of whom Kezia Waltman Nichols, the author's mother, was the oldest child. At the time the Bible changed hands, July 1921, there were but two of Kezia's children alive, Valentine Nichols, of San Jose, California, and Lora LaMance, the writer of this book. Valentine Nichols was as generous in his day as Peter Waltman was in his. He surrendered his rights to his sister, only asking that for six weeks he might have it in his possession. He studied it lovingly all of this time and then gave it up to her.

End Chapter X


A just man and perfect in his generation. Genesis,vi, 9

Valentine was born October 25, 1790, exactly fifty-two years after his grandfather landed in America. Nature was lavish with her gifts. He was fine looking, had high principles, sound judgment, and a quick brain. All of the family spoke English or German equally well. Valentine also wrote German easily and fluently. He was always a reader, and Countess Barbara®s books, the few that escaped Conrad®s frenzy in 1777, when he carried armloads of them out to the American troops to be used as wadding, had been read by him over and over.
Countess Barbara died in February, 1762. Count Conrad in 1796. Officially the family died in the eyes of German law. Great was the Waltman family®s surprise, therefore, along about September, 1811, to receive an official letter from the Bavarian Government, telling them that while the estate had lapsed to the crown upon her death, as Conrad put forth no claim to it, and was then a resident of a foreign land, the government had kept the estate intact as well as all the monies received from it for that half century. They had all of the time kept track of the possible claimants. The title had lapsed, as there were no legitimate heirs to a title. But if the family of Conrad Waltman, deceased, would bring clear proofs of their descent from Conrad Waltman and his morganatic wife, Katherine Bierly, and bring properly drawn up powers of attorney, the government was ready to turn over the estate and the large sum of money accrued to a representative of the family. Only, this must be done before the half century anniversary of her death. Upon that date, if no proper representative appeared, it would be turned over to the crown, and the heirs would be forever barred from receiving this property.
There was a great commotion. It appears that all of the brothers and sisters alive at the close of the Revolutionary War, were still living. They were not so old; but a trip to Germany in those days of slow sailing vessels that took two months to make the voyage, and if storms interfered, took sometimes four months, was considered as great an undertaking as it would now to go around the world. Every brother had some excuse or other. In family conclave it was settled to send Valentine the Younger. He would be 21, the 25th of October, was foot-loose and single. He prepared for the trip.
Michael2 was living in Maryland. Ludwig2 was in York County. The sisters, Katherine Hampshire,2 Eleanor Lutz2 and Margaret Yonce2 were living in Lancaster and Berks Counties. William,3 the son of William,2 was in Lycoming County. Frederick,3 the son of Frederick,2 and Nicholas,3 his brother, were living in a remote part of the state. Every one of those had to be visited and a power of attorney obtained from them for Valentine the Younger to act for them.
A fine broadcloth suit was made for the young man for best occasions together with a suit to travel in. Everything was made by hand in those days. Valentine had a little trunk made for the voyage. It was 24 inches long, 13 inches wide and 12 inches deep. It had thin iron bands at the edge and two brass bands around the center, riveted with broadheaded brass brads. On the lid was his initials, V. W., in closely placed brass tacks. It was lined with a small figured blue and white wall paper. It is now in the possession of his granddaughter, the author.
It had taken two months to get all of these powers of attorney and to get the other legal papers ready for him. It was now close to December. Just as he was all ready to start, the busybody got in his work Someone told Valentine that such and such of the heirs had said that they never expected to see him again. He would go over there, get all of that money and all of that property, and never come back. He would keep it. They had signed the agreement that he should have full authority to act for them, but he would be beyond their reach and they could not help themselves if he kept every cent.
Valentine was a pleasant man, and one that usually controlled himself well, but he did have in his veins some of that hot Spanish temper. In a rage he tore up every power of attorney, threw the pieces in the fire, and swore the only oath of his whole life. He said he®d be d----d if he would go! He used to say that his one swear word cost a fortune. The mischief was done. It was impossible to assemble all of those legal papers again from those widely scattered points and get them together in time for a voyage to Germany, where the family agent must be early in February, 1812. So perished the family fortune.

bullet Dean WAMPLER

bulletHarold Edwin WANCE (Private).

Children were: Jo Dee WANCE .

bulletJo Dee WANCE (Private). Parents: Harold Edwin WANCE and Bonnie B. PARTRIDGE.

Children were: Shelby Lynn JONES, Stacie Lee JONES.

bulletJoel WARD(1) (2).

Children were: Mary WARD.

bulletMary WARD(1) (2) was born in 1777. Parents: Joel WARD and Elenor.

She was married to Adam STERRETT on 2 Mar 1797. Children were: James STERRETT.

bullet Mary Ann WARD(1) (2)

Children were: Edris B. JARVIS.

bulletDwain WARDEN(1) (2).

He was married to Ethel SPURLOCK on 30 Jan 1943 in , Douglas, Missouri. Children were: Margaret Joan WARDEN, Paul Allen WARDEN.

bullet Margaret Joan WARDEN (Private). Parents: Dwain WARDEN and Ethel SPURLOCK.

Children were: Miriam Rebekah CLARK, Christopher Daniel CLARK .

bulletPaul Allen WARDEN (Private). Parents: Dwain WARDEN and Ethel SPURLOCK.

bulletThornbury B. WARDER(1) (2).

He was married to Elizabeth WEAVER before 1837.

bullet WARNER (1)(2)

bulletAngeline WARNER(1) (2) was born on 18 Feb 1835. She died on 14 Mar 1869. She was buried in , Knox, Indiana. bur.Freeland Cemetery

She was married to James R.SNYDER on 22 Mar 1855 in , Knox, Indiana.

Prior Back to previous 50 names.

Next Go to next 50 names.

Home Return to Table of Contents